(Foster Youth Program)
Cal State San Bernardino's EOP Renaissance Scholars Program was established in 2003. The program is committed to providing comprehensive support services to EOP-eligible, current and former foster youth as they transition into the university and through to graduation. The success of the EOP Renaissance Scholars Program is a result of services provided through the collaborative efforts of various campus departments at Cal State San Bernardino and community partners.
- Assist current and former foster youth with admission to the university
- Provide comprehensive support that promotes academic and personal success
- Encourage active participation in university life
- Prepare students for graduation and beyond
- Provide experiences that enrich students educationally, culturally and socially
- Admissions Assistance
- EOP Summer Bridge Program
- EOP Grant Award
- Academic Advising
- Personal Counseling
- Financial assistance and guidance
- Priority Registration
- Mid-quarter Evaluations
- On-campus Housing Assistance
- Tutoring Services through the Learning Center
- Life Skills and Academic Workshops
- Cultural Enrichment Activities and Recreational Activities
- Networking and Leadership Opportunities
- Post-graduation Career Planning and Assistance
- Qualify for admission to Cal State San Bernardino as a freshman or transfer student
- For CSUSB eligibility information and to access the application for admissions, go to CSUMentor (http://www.csumentor.edu/). Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible, but must apply between October 1st and November 30th to be considered for the fall term of the following year.
- A limited number of students who do not meet eligibility requirements, but have demonstrated the motivation and potential to succeed at the university level are granted special admissions consideration.
- Qualify for EOP (Educational Opportunity Program). For eligibility information and to access the EOP application, go to the EOP Page at CSUMentor. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as EOP reviews applications on a first-come, first-served basis. EOP admission placements are limited and admissions is closed once enrollment capacity is reached.
- Complete the EOP Renaissance Scholars Program application (PDF) and submit it to the EOP office at: 5500 University Parkway, UH-395, San Bernardino, CA 92407. The application may also be faxed to (909) 537-7084. Attention: Amanda Robles.
- Be a highly motivated current or former foster youth, between the ages of 17-25, who demonstrates academic potential
- Be a California resident or qualify for an AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption
- Qualify as an Independent Student under federal financial aid guidelines
- Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov by the priority filing date, March 2nd
- Apply for Cal Grant by completing the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form at http://www.csac.ca.gov by March 2nd
- For students who qualify for an AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption, you may file for state- and institutional-funded financial aid by filing a California Dream Act Application at California Dream Act. Like the FAFSA, you must file the Dream application as soon as possible after January 1st and by the California financial aid priority filing deadline of March 2nd.
- For students that were in foster care between the ages of 16-18, apply for the Chafee Grant at https://www.chafee.csac.ca.gov/default.aspx
- Be able to participate in the EOP Summer Bridge Program
- Eligible foster youth are contacted by the Program Coordinator and invited to CSUSB for a personal interview and campus tour
- Acceptance into the EOP Renaissance Scholars Program will be determined after the campus interview
Students who indicate on their EOP application that they are a current or former foster youth or ward of the court are contacted by the Program Coordinator and informed about the program. If eligible, a student will be asked to submit the required documentation and an interview/campus tour will be arranged.
For more information, contact Amanda Robles at (909) 537-5042, or by email to email@example.com.