Four-Year Graduation Pledge Program
Incoming Freshman for Fall 2015 must submit their applications by September 24, 2015.
California State University, San Bernardino is committed to assisting students in earning a baccalaureate degree in the shortest time possible. With careful planning and a commitment to work diligently, many students have been able to graduate in four years (12 quarters). For its part, the university has consistently worked to provide an academic schedule and degree requirements that can be completed in four years by students willing to devote their time and energy to full time enrollment and study. Well-qualified and hard-working students, who have met all entrance requirements upon graduation from high school, should set the completion of an undergraduate program as their goal. The university is prepared to help students reach this goal.
Full time enrollment and involvement in campus life and activities should make the years at Cal State stimulating, engaging and rewarding. A healthy balance of study, work, and leisure is critical to academic success. The careful integration of classroom study, building relationships with university faculty and staff, investment in campus resources and involvement in co-curricular clubs and activities is essential to ensuring that knowledge attained at the university results in fully qualified graduates. These individuals use the critical skills, facts, competencies and achievements of the college years for active and productive citizenship, useful employment, and life-long learning.
Who is Eligible?
All entering freshmen who:
- Have declared a major (and concentration if required by the degree)
- Have met all entrance requirements for their major
- Are willing to earn at least 45 units or more per academic year
- Have no academic basic skills deficiencies. (ie; students who are not eligible to take college-level math (Math 110 or higher) during their first term at CSUSB, and students taking the three quarter English course sequence are not eligible)
What is the Student's Obligation?
Students are required to attend an information session where they will sign their Four Year Graduation Pledge Contract.
- Students may not have more than one major and/or minor declared (unless approved by the Dean of Undergraduate Studies), as having multiple majors and/or minors will increase the amount of units required and may result in not meeting the four-year graduation deadline.
- Students must complete an average of at least 15 units per quarter (45 units per year) to reach the minimum of 180 units required for a Bachelor of Arts degree in four years.
- Students are required to submit an Education Plan to plan and track their degree coursework and requirements. Education Plans MUST be approved and signed by either a faculty advisor or professional staff advisor within the studentís major/department.
- Students must enroll each quarter during their assigned registration time. Students enrolling late cannot be assured of getting courses needed.
- Make ABOVE AVERAGE academic progress by maintaining a 2.7 CSUSB grade point average after each quarter (For students beginning Fall 2015 or later).
- Meet regularly with their department academic advisor; follow the agreed upon Education Plan each quarter.
- Students seeking entry into impacted majors must be accepted into that major according to the department's established schedule. Should a student not be eligible to enter an impacted major, that student will need to have an alternate education plan if they desire to remain on the 4-Year Pledge.
Take courses in correct sequence, when they are offered and/or available.
Note: Students who change their major or concentration or who take a leave of absence may not necessarily be able to graduate in four years. A new, advisor-approved, Education Plan demonstrating four-year graduation MUST be submitted to Advising & Academic Services within 30 days after a Change of Major is filed.
- Students MUST file their Graduate Check in the Fall term of their 4th and final academic year.
- Demonstrate accountability by complying with all administrative and academic policies and procedures. Non-compliance will result in cancellation of the pledge agreement.
What is the University's Pledge?
- California State University, San Bernardino pledges to provide sufficient classes for the Four-Year Graduation Pledge Program students in order for them to graduate in four years. All Four-Year Graduation Pledge Program students will receive first priority registration (Priority I) based on their quarterly academic progress monitored by Advising & Academic Services, Undergraduate Studies.
- Participants who continue to meet eligibility (see above) must utilize their designated high priority registration date and time to ensure timely advancement toward graduation. After four academic years of full time enrollment, meeting conditions outlined in the four year graduation pledge contract, if it is determined that required courses were not available, the student will not be required to pay tuition or fees otherwise required for the student to register and subsequently enroll in courses necessary for graduation. This is the sole remedy for the universityís breach of the Four Year Graduation Pledge.
For questions please email GraduateN4@csusb.edu