Skip to main content
Advising and Academic Services

Disqualified Student Appeals

How to Appeal an Academic Disqualification (Undergraduates Only)

Information for Students Who Have Been Academically Disqualified (Academic Dismissal)
  • Reinstatement by raising grade point average, attend a community college or Open University. Please call Advising and Academic Services at (909) 537-5034 for further information.
  • You may submit a 1-2 page written justification/argument for reinstatement, which must include:
    • Are you an EOP student? If you are not, please continue with this outline.
    • Your name
    • Your address
    • Your telephone number
    • Your Social Security/Student Identification Numbers
    • Your declared major (and your desired major, if you are changing your major)
    • The circumstances, which caused you to achieve the unsatisfactory scholarship record leading to your dismissal from the University.
    • The changes in your situation that have taken place which lead you to believe that you will be able to raise your grade point average and make satisfactory progress toward your degree objective.
    • Your proposed program of study for the term in which you wish to return.
    • Your educational and career objectives.
    • Must provide documentation.
    • Your signature at the closing of your statement.

The written statement outlined above must be submitted to the Director of Advising and Academic Services at any time after receiving your dismissal notice. The Dean from the college of your major and the Director of Advising and Academic Services will carefully consider your petition and all other available data. You will be notified in writing of their decision. Once your letter is received, the process takes approximately two weeks.

If you have any questions about these instructions or about your academic status, please do not hesitate to contact our office at the number listed above.

We recommend that all undergraduate students meet with an advisor in the Office of Advising and Academic Services BEFORE the petition letter is written. There may be technical processes (i.e. Discount of Repeated Grade) which, if filed/completed, can eliminate negative grade points, thereby making you academically eligible to return.

Once a petition for return is approved, there will be a set of academic performance requirements for the student to fulfill as part of the ADMINISTRATIVE CONTRACT. The following are examples of such requirements:
  • Minimum quarter GPA of 2.3
  • Take no more than 12 unit enrollment
  • Repeat a course or two
  • Complete a previous incomplete course
  • Enroll in USTD 027 (an Individual Study contract follow-up course)
  • File a specific petition
  • Meet with an advisor from their major
Contracts are on a quarter-by-quarter basis depending on academic performance. If a student fulfills the contract terms, he or she may have to sign another one if the overall or CSUSB GPA continues to be below 2.0.
Free MS Office Viewers & Acrobat Reader:      Word     /      Excel     /      Powerpoint     /      Adobe Acrobat (PDF)     
Disability Resources     /      Privacy and Security Notice     /      The Cal State University System     /      Contact the UGS Webmaster
5500 University Pkwy., University Hall, Room UH-380
San Bernardino, CA 92407
Phone: (909) 537-5034
Fax: (909) 537-7073

Last Updated: August 6, 2015